 CAD / Development / 10439
Re: MPD file loading search order
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:10:00 GMT

As you have pointed out, the spec is indeed ambiguous. Consequently, there’s probably no correct answer as to how things should work. However, I can tell you what I do in LDView, so that you have an idea of how at least one MPD-compatible program does work.

In LDView, when you load a model, the top-level model loading object maintains a cache of all loaded LDraw files used by that model. This cache is global to the top-level model, and keyed off the filename used in the linetype 1 line that references the file. (By global, I mean that all files loaded as a result of loading the top-level model, no matter how many levels of indirection down the tree, check the cache first.)

So, when LDView parses a linetype 1 line in a file, it first checks to see if there is an existing entry in the cache, based purely on the filename specified by that line. (This lookup is case-insensitive.) If it finds an entry in the cache, it uses that entry. If it doesn’t find an entry, it starts searching for files via its internal search path.

LDView doesn’t actually have any special MPD-recognition routines. So LDView doesn’t care at all what the file extension is. If the 0 FILE meta-command shows up in a file in an accepted way, the file is treated as an MPD file. If not, it isn’t.

LDView does its file parsing in two passes. The first pass simply loads all the text from the file into memory, and does some processing of comment lines. No other lines are processed at all. The key is that if a 0 FILE line is encountered at this stage, the wrapped file is added to LDView’s cache, and loading continues in the context of the wrapped file. (Actually, if the cache already contains an entry for the new file, the wrapped file will simply be skipped over; the first instance is always used.) So each time a 0 FILE is found, a new cache entry is created, and its list of lines filled with all the lines in the current file up to the end or the next 0 FILE entry. So at the end of the file loading, all the MPD wrapped files exist in the cache, but none of them has been parsed.

In the second pass, parsing happens, and when a linetype 1 line is parsed, the cache is checked first. So if there are any entries in the cache from anywhere in the MPD, they will be used. If a sub-model references a file that’s in the cache from the original MPD, the entry from the MPD will be used. If a sub-model is an MPD, and it includes a wrapped file of the same name, the local copy will be ignored, and the original cached copy will be used instead.

Obviously, the above behavior isn’t “correct” in the logical sense. But as it turns out, it works fine, because the MPD format was designed to create a wrapper file for a model that doesn’t reference any external files except parts. So in practice, you really shouldn’t find MPD files that reference external files that aren’t part of the part library. I would argue that if you encounter such files, whoever created them didn’t understand the whole concept of the MPD format.

Having said that, LDView could fairly easily be updated to limit the scope of wrapped files in an MPD to the MPD file itself. Then, if a file external to the MPD tried to reference a file in the MPD, it would fail. And if an MPD referenced another MPD, and both contained sub-files of the same name, the sub-files would be properly scoped. To me, this sounds like the logically “correct” behavior, but I don’t really see a need to implement such behavior. I certainly haven’t had anyone complain to me that they had problems loading a file, and the problems were a result of LDView’s global scope for files contained inside MPDs.

Note that while LDView doesn’t currently support loading multiple models at once, the cache is local to the top-level model loaded by LDView, so LDView could in the future support loading multiple top-level models, and each would have its own separate cache. Original versions of LDView had a truly global application-level cache.

One final thing. As I mentioned, LDView doesn’t have any special recognition of MPD files based on their extension. I really feel that this is the correct thing to do. Forcing MPD files to have an MPD extension is unnecessary. And since the creation of the .ldr extension, it seems to me that users shouldn’t be forced to understand the difference between an MPD file and any other LDraw file. But that’s just my personal opinion.

--Travis