 CAD / Development / 10324
Re: Thoughts on File Format for LDraw Animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:47:30 GMT

My POV-Ray minifig macro is... huge.

This menas a huge download every time you wish to updated?

<snip>
Your project is in deed very interesting. I will try to follow the progress, and
someday maybe I'll join it! But for now, I will explore where the LDA project
leads.

Anyway, my point with minifigs is that it is easier to write something to do all
of this for you.  Every minifig is similar enough it is worth it rather than
creating 100 minifig mpd's.  The minifig macro I have has about 100 predefined
unique minifigs, with many hand items and head wear, etc.  The predefined
minifigs are created by just calling a macro for that minifig:

minifig14(head_rotation, right_arm_rotation, left_arm_rotation,
right_leg_rotation, left_leg_rotation, visor_rotation)

Then, this becomes very easy to animate in a povray script:

minifig14(clock+k, 0, clock*2, clock/2, clock/2*-1, 0)

Well, yes... Maybe. At least if you want minifigs to walk and walk straght ahead
and never do anything else. But what if you want him to slowly turn his head to
the right after 120 frames? I guess you have to express that as a new
mathematical function, perhaps with conditional statements. It will all look
like maths or programming language. Very abstract and hard to interpret to a
human mind.

Now, as it has been said many times, animation is complicated, but I think it
can be a little less complicated if we make scripts with a timeline instead of
formulas. Like this psuedo-code illustrates:

Camera.Shoot 100
Minifig01.Walk
Camera.Shoot 150
Minifig01.Stop
Camera.Shoot 50

This means that Minifig01 stands still in 100 frames, walks in 150, and stands
still again in the final 50 frames. How would this look in POV code? Not quite
that simple, I guess.

There are different kinds of people. Perhaps we should let both systems grow up
side by side. Some may like the more powerful but slower and less user-friendly
variant while others like the faster and easier but more limited?

Tonight, I will spend some time experimenting with MPD import and see what
problems and possibilities it will bring.

/Tore