 CAD / Development / 10322
Re: Thoughts on File Format for LDraw Animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2005 07:33:30 GMT

but the time frame for actually agreeing on a new file
format is indefinite...

Ah, yes.... but only if you leave it to a committee! LOL!  As the who has,
invented the most meta-commands (I know, no LPub experience), I just create what
I need, and tell people about them.  No one has complained yet.

Except me.  ;)

Seriously, this is why I butt into animation discussions.  I care so much I want
other people to at least come up with something that will survive time.  I don't
want someone to create something that will be incompatible with what will come
in the future.

My main philosophy is that the professional 3d animation artists are doing
something right.  Just go watch Lord of the Rings to see what I mean.  So we
should at least familiarize ourselves with what they do before we try to
re-invent what they are doing.  I'm not saying that we all go get Maya and take
Maya classes.  I'm just saying we should read some basics.  And a really good
place to start is by learning POV-Ray.  1). It is not as hard as you think.  2).
If you are going to do any animation scripting, you are going to be doing more
complicated programming than what you would have to learn to make a POV-Ray
animation.  (you are going to have to write a parser for starters that can
evaluate equations...)

Please, please look at this:

http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/irtc.htm

You can get a good idea of what you can do with POV-Ray!  It is really cool
stuff!  Just don't try it all at once.  Looks like Geocities is limiting
bandwidth.  It just became unavailable.  :(  (try back in an hour it says)