 CAD / Development / 10304
Re: Thoughts on File Format for LDraw Animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:00:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Kevin L. Clague wrote:

So a super-set of LDRAW 1.0.0 file format is needed that lets you
define compound parts (separate ldraw file?) and have the whole part
and all sub-components named.  With names, you can modify attributes,
rotation, position, color, part type....

Isn't that more or less an MPD? By *not* reusing sub-models you get a unique
name for every group, sub-group etc.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

LDraw mixes part type and part name........

For library parts, we specify its part type (filename).  For sub-models we
specify its filename (same thing in both cases).

In C++ we have classes, and instance of classes.  In LDraw the names of the
instance of classes don't exist, only the type of the thing.

Parts do not have names only types, so none of the instances or parts can be
operated on after its definition.....  I cannot simply remove a given part that
was added in the past.  I have to use CLEAR or BUFFEXCHG tricks to give the
appearance of a single part being removed.

If part instances had names, then I could "TRANSLATE 1 0 0 cabby" which would
move the previously defined minifig named cabby right one LDU.

MPD does not help this in any way, because again, there is only part type (file
name) and no instance name.

LDraw has no support for the naming of instances part usages.

I can think of a number of places where instance names would be a great help.

Kevin