 CAD / Development / 10308
Re: Thoughts on File Format for LDraw Animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:31:14 GMT

Kevin L. Clague wrote:

MPD does not help this in any way, because again, there is only part
type (file name) and no instance name.

But as I said, if you put all instances, that need to be named, in a subfile
of its own you *have* named instances. It wouldn't be too difficult to write
a helper program (or add-on) that does this folding for you (creating a
subfile of selected parts inside an MPD).

LDraw has no support for the naming of instances part usages.

Objection. The MPD format gives one way of doing it.

I can think of a number of places where instance names would be a
great help.

Sure. It's necessary for animation, but I don't think the LDRAW format
should be used for instrumenting the animation itself. LDRAW is a format for
describing static models. Period.

To give life to those static models we need more.

MPD gives us a tool for creating a hierarchical model inside the existing
LDRAW specifications, now 'all' we need is another program which can read
such models, let us specify time line(s) for movable parts, models, scenes
or a whole movie and send the result into POVRay (or Blender or whatever).

I don't see any big logical obstacles in that route, only hard work creating
the program, and of course, first creating the specification for that
program...

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm