 CAD / Development / 10297
Re: Thoughts on File Format for LDraw Animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:51:52 GMT

In lugnet.animation, Tore Eriksson wrote:
1. .DAT Praises
The DAT file and the possibility to use Type 1 lines in DAT files to call on
other DAT files  is so versatile, so brilliant, so LEGO. It's the foundation
that has made LDraw The standard for virtual LEGO. There are details that
weren't fully developed when JJ passed away, but it doesn't matter that much,
compared to the possibilities the DAT standard brings at hand.

<snip>

What do you think? Can you follow my reasoning? Any ideas?
/Tore

One of the weaknesses of the LDraw file format is that part instances do not
have names.  This makes it impossible to modify attributes about the part
instance.

The closest thing we have to date is named groups provided by MLCad.  I've
provided a remove meta-command to remove a group of parts by group name in LPub.

It is a fine alternative to GHOST or BUFEXCHG.

Groups fail you because you cannot nest groups.

You want a hierachical model for a minifig including named sub-parts that you
can effect: left-arm, left-hand, left-leg, torso, right-arm, right-hand,
right-leg, head.... plus the ability to add things like minifig tools, hats, and
other accessories and relate them to specific sub-parts (e.g. right-hand sword).

You are going to want rotation axis for each sub-component, as well as the
ability to move each sub-component.  Furthermore if you move the entire minifig,
all sub-components must move along.

So a super-set of LDRAW 1.0.0 file format is needed that lets you define
compound parts (separate ldraw file?) and have the whole part and all
sub-components named.  With names, you can modify attributes, rotation,
position, color, part type....

Wow, you've taken on a lot.

I can kinda follow your ideas, but it makes my brain hurt.

Kev