 CAD / Development / *500 (-20)
  Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw

(...) about (...) part (...) That still wouldn't make it possible in Ldraw to (I)nsert a new piece, change the (P)art number, then type the part number of the part which is in your hand, and have it inserted. Multi-part parts are a problem, of (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: parts wanted

(...) I probably did a bad job at explaining what is wrong. Looking at the 2853 part with the grey axle pointing towards you, you'll see a round hole in the grey surface next to the axle which sticks out. (This hole is rectangular on some versions (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  RE: part: panel 1 x 2 x 1 with black grille pattern

(...) I think it is a bad tendency if we are going to speculate in specific rendering programs: adding extra drawing commands, so that at least some of them will show under certain circumstances. Hints for specific rendering techniques should be (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: parts wanted

(...) I'm not following the problem, here. It may because I don't have one of these pieces to look at, but I'm not seeing what shows through, and if something did show through, how having rounded-end axles would help. I modified your code to use a (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: VOTING now working

Terry, I have a suggestion. I just voted like a senator again :-, abstaining from about half the votes. I don't know what the typical vote turnout is like, but in my method of voting, it would be pretty cool if all the votes default to "Abstain". As (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  RE: part: panel 1 x 2 x 1 with black grille pattern  [DAT]

(...) Actually I sent Terry an update to 3004P06.DAT some weeks ago using quads rather than rect.dat. It is going to be in the next parts update. Also mine stripes are more accurate when you put two bricks on top of each other with one of them (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw

Steve Bliss wrote in message <36daaf01.8075147@lu...et.com>... (...) I'd say you're most certainly right here since their numbering system would be for premarket tracking and not as we would use it in the post-market. Does anyone know if TLG sells (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: parts i plan to do

(...) But don't dump all the parts into the parts tracker -- wait until you are reasonably close to working on a part before adding it. Steve (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Quality of authored parts

(...) Sometimes 'gripping extrusions' are drawn, sometimes not. Depends on the size of the extrusion. I agree about the lips. Why don't you try one, and see how it looks? Steve (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Quality of authored parts

(...) I'm certainly not offended. OTOH, I'm going to keep with the standard LDraw simplifications, at least to the extent of not including the dimples beneath the studs on plates and bricks. Steve (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw

(...) Why don't we reference these part numbers as comments in the part-file, perhaps on a 0 KEYWORDS line? Although that would be a headache to deal with, making sure that all new parts get all the appropriate part numbers... Steve (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw

(...) That's not much better, because a new part-file is still required whenever a new color is released. Steve "I should probably keep these responses in the outbox until after I've read all 60 incoming messages" Bliss (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw

(...) I think TLG's numbering always boils down to manufacturing and inventory control. A part number is needed for each molded part, so each subpart needs its own number. And the aggregate, post-gluing part needs a number to track its insertion (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw

(...) You've just hit on my pet peeve with the approach of using the most official numbers for LDraw parts -- often, the most official number is *not* the one you find stamped on the part. This will be true if: - You are looking at a multi-part (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT voting page up

(...) Now, if they were going backwards, they'd really be moonwalking[1] Steve [1] A dance move made popular by Michael Jackson, where the dancer walks backward, but makes it look like they are walking forward. (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT voting page up

(...) True, but it's also a precedent. I'd rather have the bottom surface than curved edges. I'd consider a part with all surfaces more accurate than a part with closely-modeled upper surfaces, but the underside completely missing. Maybe I'm just (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball pattern

(...) Seems like there should be a soccer-ball tessalation[1] somewhere on the web, which could be ported to LDraw relatively easily. Steve [1] May be a mis-use of the term -- not sure of the limits on tessalations. (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Soccer ball name

(...) Yes, but you didn't have a LEGO set for your team. :-P Unless those unconfirmed rumors were true. Nah, Matt would have had some by now... Steve (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT voting page up

(...) In this case, all the tile elements probably have new, 5-digit part numbers. It would be appropriate to use these numbers for new versions of the tile. In general, if TLG modifies a part but retains the original part number, appending a letter (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Java LDraw/LDLite

(...) An online database isn't going to completely address your two issues -- missing parts and parts which haven't been created. Typically, parts will be missing from a model either because (a) the parts aren't made yet (and it's actually problem (...) (26 years ago, 1-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact