 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 232
Re: ring 3 to 5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 18:17:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Travis Cobbs writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Steve Bliss writes:
Here's a question: for a given amount of area, and a set number of polygons,
is it better (ie, faster to render) to have polygons that are all about the
same size?  Or would it be better to have some large polygons, and some
small polygons?  A few large, and a lot of small?  Hmmm.

I don't know about all situations (POV, etc), but for real-time rendering in
OpenGL, the fastest rendering generally occurs with the fewest number of
triangles (assuming that the triangles specify the same final geometry).

I understand that.  But the question specified that the number of triangles
(actually polygons, but feel free to assume triangles) is fixed.

The fact is that with most LDraw models, LDView is completely limited by
geometry performance.  This is why on a reasonbly fast 3D accelerator a mid
to large size model will render at pretty much the same frame rate no matter
what the resolution is.

So size of the polygons doesn't matter.  Hmm.  I'll have to remember that.

Steve