 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 217
Re: ring 3 to 5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 06:32:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Kyle McDonald writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Franklin W. Cain writes:

This isn't necessary.  Just use a ring3 and a ring-4, both with the same
placement and orientation...

Wouldn't that result in twice as many polys that have to be rendered?
Forgive if that's a dumb question, I ain't much of an author, you know. :-)

As a program author, I believe that yes this would result in twice

the polygon count.

While I aggree that programs should generally do everything they can
to make authoring parts easier, I also think that Part Authors ought
to keep in mind that the performance of the programs is a direct
result of the number of polygons that need to be managed.

It's already bad enough, that we can't avoid having many polygons
that represent the insides/sides of bricks that never get drawn
becuase they are snapped on other bricks. Do we really need to go
adding even more by using 2, 4 or more where 1 would do?

It's all a compromise (just like life!). If you go creating primitives for
every little sub-part that's used a few times, you end up with a primitive
directory that's unwieldy & lots of parts which inline because they don't know
the primitive's available.

In this case, the best way, if you have a part which has many such rings, is to
create a sub-part for it, then when it's finished, inline the sub-part; or
leave it as a sub-part if the total size is significantly smaller.

If you have a bunch of parts that use it, it may be worth asking to see if
people think it's a candidate for a primitive.

There's no hard limits on when sub-parts should be in-lined, or made into
primitives, so best to ask around to see what people think.

ROSCO