 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 226
Re: ring 3 to 5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 04:04:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Kyle McDonald writes:

I think it is an extremely small advantage. What programs actually
read any file more than once?

True.  But it's more than nothing.

I mean, Are there programs that actaully open the file and read the
part in every time it's referenced? Or are there programs that even
if they only read the file on the first reference, still reread the
file on the first reference in each rendering pass?

LDraw (and LEdit, I assume) don't cache any files in memory.  Read it (line
by line), process it, and throw it away.

It still seems to me that reducing the polygon count (when possible)
would improve performance more than reducing the number of files that
are read. My program spend hardly any time at all reading files.

Reducing the number of files may not be important to rendering speed, but it
is important for managing the parts library.  There are already too many
files already.  Heck, we just released two 'new' primitives that are the
same as existing primitives, but with new-style names. :\  The more files
we're carrying, the more likely we are to repeat that mistake.

Here's a question: for a given amount of area, and a set number of polygons,
is it better (ie, faster to render) to have polygons that are all about the
same size?  Or would it be better to have some large polygons, and some
small polygons?  A few large, and a lot of small?  Hmmm.

Steve