 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 221
Re: ring 3 to 5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 20:36:24 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Kyle McDonald writes:
As a program author, I believe that yes this would result in twice
the polygon count.

While I aggree that programs should generally do everything they can
to make authoring parts easier, I also think that Part Authors ought
to keep in mind that the performance of the programs is a direct
result of the number of polygons that need to be managed.

It's already bad enough, that we can't avoid having many polygons
that represent the insides/sides of bricks that never get drawn
becuase they are snapped on other bricks. Do we really need to go
adding even more by using 2, 4 or more where 1 would do?

It's all a compromise (just like life!). If you go creating primitives for
every little sub-part that's used a few times, you end up with a primitive
directory that's unwieldy & lots of parts which inline because they don't know
the primitive's available.

I can see how that wouldn't be desirable.

In this case, the best way, if you have a part which has many such rings, is to
create a sub-part for it, then when it's finished, inline the sub-part; or
leave it as a sub-part if the total size is significantly smaller.

Correct me if I'm wrong (please!) But inlining only replaces the
type 1 line with the (transformed) lines from the subfile it
referenced. Right? It doesn't mean figuring out if 2 polygons could
be joined into 1 polygon, does it?

If this is so, then inlining of primitives seems to also be
undesirable.

I mean why have primitives at all if they aren't refenced after
the inlining is done? And if you are planning on inling the
primitives in this ring case, then you may as well just write up
the ring yourself with fewer polygons seeing as how you aren't
planning on taking advantage of the primitive files in the end
anyway. Right?

Thanks for showing me the other view points though, I'm still

learning alot of this stuff.

-Kyle

--
                                    _