 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 220
Re: ring 3 to 5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 20:37:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Franklin W. Cain writes:
This isn't necessary.  Just use a ring3 and a ring-4, both with the same
placement and orientation...

Wouldn't that result in twice as many polys that have to be rendered?
Forgive if that's a dumb question, I ain't much of an author, you know. :-)

I'm not a mech. eng. major, myself, so my knowledge of this CAD stuff
is just from my math. skills.  That said...

As I understand it, a "primitive" is supposed to be an *atomic* unit,
something boiled down to its essentials.  A disc/circle (or 1/n fraction
thereof), a cylinder (or 1/n fraction), a rectangle, a triangle, (etc.).

With the ring primitives, they have all been expressed in terms of
"inner radius", with the outer radius always being "inner rad. plus one".
I believe that this is the implicit "standard".  (Steve?)  While I'm
not discouraging the creation of new primitives, I do believe that
any new primitive should be in accordance with these underlying principles.

Thanks,
Franklin