 CAD / 9483
Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:12:49 GMT

Hi Darrell,

My point was that asking people to help someone develop their commercial
software is somewhat of a bold proposition. However, I did not know that
3Dwin had a free version with batch-convert de-activated and that is
something worth considering. Personally, not that long ago, I would have
clinged to that. But these days I simply do not use shareware that I do not
intend to pay for.

Crossroads does not translate into/from .DAT, but it is the only freeware
translator between the most common 3D formats that I know of. Most 3D
programs, free or not, perform similar functions anyway.

Another option to be considered:

Blender import/export (Currently only .DAT to blender)

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=8296

I'm pretty sure there is a 3DS import/export Python script for Blender.

In any event, if and when a translator between .DAT and some standard 3D
format comes through, it will cause for celebration. It is not only the
people with the big toys that get to play, but AFOLs will no longer be
forced to render through POV. POV delivers, specially with apps like L3P and
Lpub - but it is also a great example of non-intuitive software. For a
casual user, it is much more interesting o learn the basic of anim8or,
blender, milkshake, etc than to dig into the POV help file. This is
specially true if the user lacks previous rendering experience.