 CAD / 9478
Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:29:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Darrell Urbien writes:

When I first tried working with the files for my class, I tried STL2DAT first.
I haven't had great success converting files from AutoCAD - perhaps I'm doing
something wrong? It could also be a fault with Autodesk's .stl converter.

Let me clarify this statement -

When I was originally looking at file converters, I was specifically looking
for .dat to .dxf converters so I could use LDraw parts for reference in
AutoCAD. There are a couple of these linked through LDraw.org. 3DWin just
happened to be the one that worked for me. (STL2DAT, by definition, doesn't do
this)

After creating some parts in AutoCAD, I tried to go back to .dat using STL2DAT,
but didn't get any results. Obviously Marc can get his app to work with
SolidWorks parts (very nice parts, Marc!). So either I'm using his app wrong,
or there's something funky with Autodesk's STL converter. I didn't mean to make
a comment one way or another about the program Marc wrote!

Darrell

ps. Marc, are any of your parts "official"?