 CAD / 9545
Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 20:37:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Karl Asha writes:
Out of curiosity, why doesn't 3dwin include colour information when
converting from .dat to .3ds? Does anyone know if this is supported in
anyway or am I just missing out on something. All I get is gray models in 3d
studio max.

Karl

I just got a note from Thomas at 3DWin, and I misspoke in my reply to Tim
Courtney elsewhere in this thread.

The demo version of this software is NOT exactly the same as the $85 version
less the preview and batch processing. There are two other MAJOR differences:

Color - the demo version only supports one color. The full version supports
full color. This isn't a really big deal if your MOC only has 5-6 parts. If
your MOC has 20+ parts, however, BIG problem!

Face conversion - the demo version leaves out every fifth face on export. This
is the same for all file formats, not just DAT. The full version exports all
faces.

This is a problem I noticed when I converted .dat files to .dxf files using the
demo version, but since I know AutoCAD (all I was looking for was reference
dimensions), it didn't bother me. I could settle for less than 100% face
conversion. But if you don't know AutoCAD (or whatever format you're converting
to/from), it can be a BIG problem!

I'm still hoping to get people to contribute to making this conversion process
better, and this thread has exposed me to many converters that can do
similar things. I still think the full version of 3DWin has promise for a clean
conversion of CAD to DAT. It just needs a little more tweaking. But as far as
the demo version of 3DWin goes these two differences aren't encouraging.

Darrell