 CAD / 9480
Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 04:00:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad, Darrell Urbien writes:
I've tried STL2DAT, but haven't had great success with it.

Have you tried MAX2DAT at all?

No, but this is one of the good things about posting onto Lugnet - I'm learning
about all of these other translators. I guess the final test is: Can the parts
authored in XX software and converted through YY converter be accepted as
official parts? If MAX2DAT or any other software can do this, I'm all for it.

Have you tried DAT2DXF for this?

Yes, I did try this one back when I first tried to convert files the other way
for my class about 2 years ago..(may be wrong about the time, but it was about
then) I had much better success with 3DWin, which is why I stayed with it. It
may have improved since then, though.

Maybe the best thing that can come out of this whole discussion is a more up to
date list of all the converters, the file formats that work with each, and
whether each can produce fully official parts. Then those of us who have access
to particular software can pick and choose which ones we want to use. For
example, if I could find a converter that went straight from AutoCAD or
Inventor to LDraw (without a detour through 3DS or STL) I would be overjoyed.

Darrell