 CAD / 9460
Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:16:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Miguel Agullo writes:
Hi,

With all due respect, a big problem that I see here is that 3dWin is a
shareware application. Personally, if I do not pay for the likes of Ldraw,
MLcad, Lpub, POV or Blender, there is no way I am going to even consider
paying for a format translator. I find it preferable to find a way around
it. After all, much of the fun I get from Lego (including Lego CAD) is
related to problem-solving. But don't get me wrong - I have and will
continue to donate money to keep the programs that I like free of charge.

Hi Miguel -
You bring up a good point. I wonder, Darrell, if you could work with Thomas
Baier to possibly have the to-from LDraw format part be free of charge,
period? It wouldn't affect his market for cross-advanced 3D format
conversions, just to and from LDraw files.

Just a thought... I wouldn't mind paying for a copy of 3DWin once I get into
3D rendering more, since it would be a fun toy. Maybe I'll do that once I've
wrapped up some projects, and I've got more time to experiment on that
stuff. :-)

-Tim