 CAD / Development / 8296
8295  |  8297
Subject:
LDRAW and Blender
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 04:53:55 GMT

Hi all ---

I am currently working on an LDRAW to Blender importer written in Python.
For those of you who have never heard of Blender, it is a free, open source
3d modeler and renderer that includes a Python API (see it at
www.blender.org).  For those of you who have - wohoo!

Anyway, the current version is 0.3 beta and is available at
http://www.geocities.com/zerog_studios.  I will release version 0.6 within
the next couple of days.

Version 0.6 beta features:
- runs in Blender Publisher version 2.25
- limited color import; see the documentation when I release it
- piece caching -- a piece is only imported once per run and duplicate
vertices are removed
- material caching -- one material per color, and unsupported colors are
assigned materials so they can be easily hand edited
- proper scaling (a model won't be huge); I'm working on orienting it correctly

A GUI is in the works, and so is improved support for nested models.  I hope
to release an updated version every couple of weeks.

Play nice!
Matthew Plough