 CAD / 6713
Re: Challenge/Request for the CAD gurus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 06:27:41 GMT

"Bram Lambrecht" <bram@cwru.edu> wrote in message
news:000001c16a53$1cd25220$b7fb1681@bl...

Believe it or not, that takes a ton of time.  My LDraw tutorial
took at least a full week of work to complete [1].  It's not all
fun and games either.
  Secondly, POV-Ray is not an easy program to use.  To really
use it efficently, you need some understanding of programming.
The less the author expects of his reader, the more he has to
write, and the more it will scare him off of the project.
  Pushing an entire tutorial on one person is not the way to go.
Perhaps, some of the POV gurus (myself, I suppose, Jeremy
Sproat, Coby Basset, Karim Nassar, Mladen Pejic, etc) need to
write an indepth outline of the procedures, and then people
who understand *that* can flesh out some of the step to step
details.  Eventually, it should get to a point where a newbie
can understand it.  Other people could HTMLize the content and
add appropriate screenshots.

Matt Gerber and I have been chatting about the very same subject at the
moment.  What we both think is that people should break it up - we develop
an outline of topics we need to cover and then break them up into manageable
chunks for contributors.  Each person does a little bit of the work and we
piece it all together.

So, who here is serious about contributing to some further documentation and
tutorials??

  However, as Sproat said, we need direction!  What do people
Have trouble with?  What did you have trouble with when you
got started?  (I can't remember, it's been too long, and too
much has changed in the meantime)

We can also get these questions out in the form of a survey on the website.
In a couple weeks I'll be adding a lot more/new content to the site and it
will be in a format where a lot of information is able to be presented at
once (I'm not going to spill it all here now though).  But we can definitely
include a survey or series of surveys on the site to collect user feedback.
As I said, the main page gets 30k hits/week.

I think the installation scheme should be given very high
priority now that we have a working parts updater set in
place.  When that works, writing documentation will be
easier since everything will be organized in a more uniform
manner.
  However, when I think of how long it takes to just write
this post, the project seems even more overwhelming

Discussing it by posting back and forth won't get us very far at all.
Outlining it briefly and then starting to act will be the best approach.

I will be working (soon) on a curriculum for the BricksWest talks -- intro
to LDraw, advanced topics like POV and some of the tools like Bezier Curve
and Hosegen, etc... and will have that prepared and also plan to refine that
after BW and then PDF it and make it available either online or on a CD kit
for doing LDraw demos.  This can definitely be interchanged with any
documentation project.  But the aim of my stuff is for demonstrations and
lectures, not reading material.

-Tim