 CAD / 6697
Re: Challenge/Request for the CAD gurus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 07:56:13 GMT

"Jake McKee" <sink@countersinkdg.com> wrote in message
news:GMIMBt.Dqv@lugnet.com...
For whatever reason, I have started to really get interested in the
wonderful things that can be done with LDraw, MLCad and POVRay. Some of • the
movies, animations, images and scenes that I have seen come out of the POV
Ray program are just amazing! I want to do those things myself!

Alas, the POVRay code is a little, well, confusing for a programming • novice
such as myself. And the POVRay documentation is written, um, for the
non-novices.

I would like to send out a challenge/request to all the people who know • the
LEGO rendering arena quite well to create a series of documents, articles
and how-to instructions for novices like me to create high quality • renders.
Wouldn't it be great to see a LEGO Rendering for Dummies? Topics like:

- Getting started with LEGO Rendering
- How to understand where the camera is, and how to position like you want
- Make it move: How to animated your renderings
- Adding pictures as part of the render
- Understanding how POVRay works in relation to LEGO Renedering
- and so on...

Great idea Jake!  I'm a programming novice too and believe it or not (gasp)
just getting into the POV thing.  I found Brad Hamilton's camera positioning
article very useful and would like to see more along a similar line.  The
topics you brought up are excellent.

I'll even bet the LDraw.org leaders would even like to post this • instruction
in a part of their site. (Guys, I am correct in this assumption?)

Most definitely.  I'd love to post a series of how-tos on POV and on
different programs as well.  We just need people to write 'em.

I know that I would be eternally grateful to share in the CAD wisdom you
gurus possess! (Any other "me toos"?)

BIG me too right here!

Tim Courtney - tim@ldraw.org