 CAD / 6700
Re: Challenge/Request for the CAD gurus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 18:22:45 GMT

1. it's hard,
2. it's a pain in the butt
3. I'd hate someone to ask me to do it
4. I had a lot of naive questions like this to ask, then I realized that
it's not so hard, and that I realy just didn't have sufficient motivation to
do it myself

Really, the instruction manuals aren't that necessary, once you get your
fingers dirty and stuck in the muck of things, so to speak.  Also, there are
some technical barriers that stand in the way of development. Along some
lines this can be true, and would require significant coding effort in order
to overcome; but, this isn't really relevant to this topic.  Maybe you
should keep your sights kind of small, and think more in the terms of, "What
could I do in order to inspire others to work in more equal increments
toward some common, or commonly held ideal, or effort."  You'd more likely
see a lot more FAQ's and stuff on people's web pages if you took that method.

Sorry to rant, but, boy, was I knocked down to size when I came upon this
very same realization.  Plus, it made lugnet/the ldraw world a lot more fun.

I'm worried that I'm ranting.

-Mike

In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee writes:
For whatever reason, I have started to really get interested in the
wonderful things that can be done with LDraw, MLCad and POVRay. Some of the
movies, animations, images and scenes that I have seen come out of the POV
Ray program are just amazing! I want to do those things myself!

Alas, the POVRay code is a little, well, confusing for a programming novice
such as myself. And the POVRay documentation is written, um, for the
non-novices.

I would like to send out a challenge/request to all the people who know the
LEGO rendering arena quite well to create a series of documents, articles
and how-to instructions for novices like me to create high quality renders.
Wouldn't it be great to see a LEGO Rendering for Dummies? Topics like:

- Getting started with LEGO Rendering
- How to understand where the camera is, and how to position like you want
- Make it move: How to animated your renderings
- Adding pictures as part of the render
- Understanding how POVRay works in relation to LEGO Rendering
- and so on...

I'll even bet the LDraw.org leaders would even like to post this instruction
in a part of their site. (Guys, I am correct in this assumption?)

I know that I would be eternally grateful to share in the CAD wisdom you
gurus possess! (Any other "me toos"?)

Thanks!
Jake

===