 CAD / 6705
Re: Challenge/Request for the CAD gurus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 12:14:49 GMT

"Bram Lambrecht" <bram@cwru.edu> skrev i meddelandet
news:000001c16955$440995a0$b7fb1681@bl...
I think that a big problem is that stuff is still very scattered, even
if there are links to all the different parts.  I think one thing that
would really help people to get set up would be an InstallShield (or
whatever) setup.  Download one file.  Check the boxes for the utilities
you want to install.  Click OK, wait a bit, and you're done.

Hasn't this been discussed before? Wasn't there a 'problem' with having to use
the original LDRAW download? Perhaps the license discussions are finished
soon, so we can make this 'one click installation'.

I use InstallShield Pro at work, and it's not very difficult to produce
complicated installations, setting .ini-files etc. etc. The problem is that it
is quite a pricey product, so I can't use it for hobby work.

The InstallShield Express which comes 'free' with Delphi is not enough for
this kind of installation.

There are a lot of free installers too, but I haven't tried them. They'll
probably do the job, though.

The installer could be designed to download the checked components on
the fly instead of all at once.

I 'hate' this kind of installation. Beeing on an expensive modem line (where
each dial up incurs an extra cost), I prefer downloading a large file in one
piece, or getting a friend with better net access download and make a CD. But
that's just me...

Just a couple of öre from Sweden,
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden