 CAD / 6401
Re: New Lego Technic avi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 16:49:10 GMT

Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> writes:

I remeber my 386/16/8. I bought the first generation of Sound
Blaster to it, and along with the sound card, there was a free DOS
animation software called PC Animate. You can add .voc sound files,
it has tweening and blueing functions. I uses gif compression = 0%
quality loss, and the only limitation is the 256 colours. But you
could make quite impressive animations on my system with 8 Mb RAM
and only 16 MHz 386 processor.

But could you play back the animation files on other systems without
this software installed?

Anyway, this is probably a discussion of lossy vs non-lossy
compression.  Animated GIFs can be used to compose non-lossy
animations.  And MPEG-1 can be used to compose animations with lossy
compression.  (And there are lots of other, newer formats as well.)

I would say that as a general rule, use MPEG (or other lossy
compression techniques) for an animation consisting of images for
which you would normally use JPEG.  And use animated GIFs for images
which are best compressed with GIFs.  Photorealistic images produced
with POV-Ray are generally well suited for JPEG compression, while CAD
images are often best handled with GIF, in my opinion.

Just as an example, I have a few animations here(1):

    http://folk.uio.no/fredrigl/technic/animations/

There are lots of examples her: Animated GIFs, MPEG-1s, animations
with and without motion blur.  I should probably have included a few
examples of various compression rates for the MPEG-1s as well, but I
don't have the original files anymore, so I can't do that.

You can see for yourself which technique you like best.  For example
for the animation called "V8 Technic engine (grey engine blocks)",
there is an animated GIF at 226 Kb and and an MPEG version at 150 Kb.
Both have the same number of frames and the same frame size.  Is it
worth saving 76 Kb to go from non-lossy to lossy compression?

On the other hand, keep in mind that the animated GIFs have been
converted to 256 colours (or probably even less), which is also a
lossy compression sheme!

Fredrik