 CAD / 4501
Re: 2nd. Idea for a new feature to help rotation of parts in Ldraw Cad software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:38:40 GMT

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Michael Lachmann wrote:

I would like to propose a slightly modified meta command set for the rotation
points, based on the idea of Marc Klein.

He suggested:
0 ROTATION CENTER x y z
0 ROTATION AXIS x1 y1 z1 x2 y2 z2

In MLCad I would like to use:
0 ROTATION CENTER "Name" x y z <mf>
0 ROTATION AXIS "Name" x1 y1 z1 x2 y2 z2 <mf>
0 ROTATION CONFIG <arp> <vf>

I would place the "Name" at the end, because it allows you to be consistent with
.dat usual format, and it may have other possibilities, like aliases, several
names.

where:
"Name" is used to give this point or axis a name which allows to select it
from a list of points or axis.

<mf> is a modification flag which indicates if the point can be modified from
an editor or not 0 = do not modify, 1 = modify ok

Sorry, I can't see any benefit from this flag, if it can't be changed (edited)
in an editor, where would it be ?

Can you explain the flag ideia better, or is this it ?
if it his, then I think its' Not needed

The ROTATION CONFIG will be used in MLCad to save the current config within
the file the parameters are:
<arp> Actual Rotation Point ... which can be

0 = Parts Origin
1 = Parts Center
2 = Parts Active Rotation Point
3 = World Origin
4 .. n = User defined Rotation Point 4 is the first defined, 5 the second ..
<vf> Visible flag for rotation point, if 1 the point will be display,
otherwice not.
For multiple parts 0 to 2 will default to 3
For 2 (Parts Active Rotation Point) to work the parts beeing rotated must
contain a ROTATION CONFIG directive with <arp> set to 3 or higher, otherwice
MLCad will revert to '0'.
There must not be any ROTATION CENTER or ROTATION AXIS command after the
ROTATION CONFIG!

Well, I think this ROTATION CONFIG is NOT really necessary, or at least it's
just a way to limit the users freedom.

I apologise before what I'm going to say. Note that the intention is to
criticize in the good sense. But I'm afraid my english may seem ofensive, which
is NOT my intention.

So here I go.

This a very narrow minded restriction, because, this will limit the users
choice. Let me explain further.

Imagine a multi part leg of a spider:
if each leg part has two rotations axis (something like ellbows/knees), then any
particular part could be rotate by any of its axis (in this case 2), making the
rest of the leg (several parts) rotate or be dragged by the specific rotation in
one of the parts axis.

The editor, just needs to allow the user to dinamically select the rotation
axis, like selecting the nearest to the mouse pointer when clicked.

If for some reason, that I didn't understand (if so, please someone enlighten
me), we really need this command, then I would encorage you to change the
command to:

0 ROTATION CONFIG <name>

For a human beeing , it's easyer to remember a name, than the order it defined
the axis, and also, it would stop working if we did some inlining, which also
raises the question about duplicate names.

the flag you propose to this command, I think it's also unnecessary, since it is
only an option for when you are editing, similar to "show world axis", so
that you can have an editor option like "show rotation axis", which is a feature
of the editor, and each editor can show them in diferent ways.

Also, I think we don't rush to this, because there are other things, that we
haven't touched it, like other types of axis, like translation axis and a unique
naming for every part.

I have already researched this as far as my time permits, but I don't have the
time now to show you all my findings about it, because I'm complettly burried on
work, maybe next weekend I can dig those documents up.

See ya

Rui Martins