 CAD / 4529
4528  |  4530
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: 2nd. Idea for a new feature to help rotation of parts in Ldraw Cad software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:38:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
James Reynolds wrote:
for example:
0 ROTATION INHERIT CENTER hinge elbow
0 ROTATION INHERIT AXIS hinge elbow
1 15 0 50 -34 1 0 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 partWithHinge.DAT

Hmmm, kinda clunky.  What we need is some kind of namespace • resolution for
referring to lines from other parts.

I don't know what namespace resolution is.  It sounds like that means
the user would have to look at the part's dat file.  It would be nice to be
able to avoid that (which is why I came up with this inherit idea).

If rotational centers/axis are going to be in this format:

0 ROTATION CENTER "Name" x y z <mf>
0 ROTATION AXIS "Name" x1 y1 z1 x2 y2 z2 <mf>

the naming has taken place.  There just has to be a way to refer to that
name outside of the dat.  Another reason why I thought of:

0 ROTATION INHERIT CENTER hinge elbow
0 ROTATION INHERIT AXIS hinge elbow
1 15 0 50 -34 1 0 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 partWithHinge.DAT

What if a model had several parts with hinges, and the user wanted to
specify which part.  Since parts aren't uniquely named in a dat file, I could
only think of syntax that requires the part to appear immediately after the
inheritance statement.

Let me know what you think.  And what is namespace resolution?
Perhaps that is a solution I haven't thought of because I don't know about
it!

James