 CAD / 4555
Re: Named rotation inheritance (Was: 2nd. Idea for a new feature to help rotation of parts in Ldraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 17:16:12 GMT

James Reynolds wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
I was taking a more object-oriented approach.  I
feel that it's the part's responsibility to know its own rotation axes, and
not the containing part's.  Likewise, I feel that it's the tool's
responsibility to handle the logic of the rotation (including scanning the
subpart for named rotation centers), not the containing part's.  If done
right, the user wouldn't even have to open up the subpart to see if it has
named axes.
I am pretty sure I don't understand totally what you are suggesting.  I think
that you are saying that NO rotational axis be specifed in a model, but
rather, the program will scan a model's parts and find ALL rotational
axis?

Not really.  A subpart would need to "know" and "advertise" its own
rotational axes to the tool; the tool would then offer these axes, and any
others the user enters manually.  The simplest approach for this is for the
subpart to have special named axis lines, and the tool will scan for those
lines.

If a model includes this subpart and would like to rotate it, then it's the
subpart's job (and not the model's) to explicitly know which axes are
available for rotating the subpart around.  I hope I'm clearing this up a
bit; sorry if I'm not.  :-,

Ya, I looked at the Artemis stuff.  It sounds good to me.  I don't think Karim
suggested a syntax for his stages though.  Did he?

Nope.  The Project is really at the top-level design document phase.
However, it is entirely possible to get the current LDraw tools to behave
like Artemis in their next generation; in fact, the Artemis Project might
very well be implemented using the next-generation LDraw tools.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Is it still illegal if I copy just the FBI warning?