 CAD / 2097
Re: Animation: Space ship taking off
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 07:34:16 GMT

"Thomas Burger" <TBurger666@aol.com> writes:

1 how long did it take to do that??

I'm still pretty inexperienced with POV-Ray, so I'd say it took me a
couple of weeks to make it, so far.  But keep in mind: I only worked on
it some hours every evening or so.

The "final" rendering took approx 24 hours on my 400MHz PII system with
256MB RAM.  Actually, the rendering process took up up to 160MB RAM
simultaneously at some times, but that's only because I want to do
everything at one time.

2 how did you make it in mpg format,its frames from POVRAY right?...

Yep.  POV-Ray has it's own system for making animations; you get a clock
value which ticks on, and then you align everything after it.  It's
quite simple, see the manual for more.

Converting the frames to MPG format was done with "mpeg_encode" under
Linux.  But there are many different systems which do that.

As I said earlier, I plan to make a page with a lot of information on it
as to how it was done, as well as more different animations in different
compression ratios which can be downloaded.  I'll also publish some
stills and other data on the space ship itself.  I'll announce it here
when it's done.

3 good job. i was going to do something like that but....

Thanks, I hope to see more animations later on.  It's not at all
difficult to make.

Fredrik