 CAD / 13399
Re: LSynth within LPub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:32:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Galen Kannarr wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Galen Kannarr wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

<snip>

Is LPub running an embedded LSynth or is it finding the executable on my
computer?

No.  LPub and MLCad uses the lsynth already on your computer.

How do they find LSynth?  I don't think it is on my path and I don't remember
telling either LPub or MLCad where LSynth is installed.

When lsynth is installed, the installer creates a registry entry specifying the
path.

Aha!  Thanks for clarifying.

I highly recommend you work with LSynth in MLCad and get things like you
like, and not use lsynth within LPub.

I would like to, but I have found it rather inefficient, perhaps because I
do not understand how to use MLCad properly.  Basically, I don't know how
to "undo" an LSynth run without manually editing the LDraw file, deleting
the synthesized elements and uncommenting the original control parts.  I
have to exit MLCad and perform the latter step in a text editor.  So
tweaking the synthesized parts is slow.

Hmm...... I understand your issue.  I follow these steps:
  1.  Use MLCAD to add synthesis specifications.
  2.  Save pre-synthesis file to disk.
  3.  Synthesize
  4.  Examine results.
  5.  If happy with results, save synthesized file under new post-synthesis
name, and fire up LPub.
  6.  Otherwise discard synthesis results by creating a New model (File->New)
  7.  Open pre-synthesis file from disk.
  8.  Go to step 1.

In LPub open the post-synthesis model file, and generate building instructions.

An excellent enhancement of MLCad, LSynth, or both, would be an "undo synthesis"
function that removes everything between the "synthesized" comments and
uncomments the constraint parts.  I will try to send the suggestion to Mike
Lachmann.

This solution works best if your entire model is enclosed in an MPD file.
MLCad, LPub and LSynth all support MPD.

But MLCad wants to save as an LDR file if there are no submodels.  Perhaps the
specifications require submodels when the MPD format is used.  My workaround was
to add an empty submodel.

I'll try to figure out why LSynth doesn't work well under LPub.  The last
problem I found was related to LPub's generation of step-dat files.  LPub
creates a separate LDraw file for each step in your model.  It applies the
default view angle and any rotations due to ROTSTEP to all the parts in the
step.  For some reason, this combined with synthesized parts is broken.

What symptoms are you seeing?  Garbled synthesis results, or no synthesis at
all?

No synthesis at all.  I'm pretty sure LSynth is not being called, because when
it does not work, there are no LSynth messages in the LPub log.  The two
circumstances that seemed to inhibit LSynth runs: 1) Placing the whole model in
an LDR file (no subs), and 2) placing the LSynth commands inside an MLCad group.

<snip>

Also, tonight, when generating layouts, LPub fails to generate the final
completed layout image.  The status box says "Laying out page 46" but
there is no image 46.  I also notice that there is no image 46 in the
images folder. Strange.

Responding to your question in another post, yes, it turns out there is a
trailing step with no parts at the end of the model.  I will have to fix
that!

LPub should ignore this, but if it doesn't let me know.

There are a number of cases where STEP might be ignored:

  STEP is first thing in file without any parts added first.
  STEP following a previous STEP without any parts added in between.
  STEP at the end of file with no parts added.

The trailing STEP you mention should not cause a problem.  There is always an
implied step at end of file, so trailing step is redundant.  The above is
what I mean for LPub to do.

Thanks for the description of the logic.  I can see how complex the process can
be.  By the way, an instance where a step should not be skipped is when it is
just rotated to give a new view without adding parts, that is, a ROTSTEP right
after a STEP.  I think LPub already does this, but I'm not sure--I try to place
some arrows in the rotated view, so they may count as parts.

I will try to repeat my results and send you the MPD and config files.  It may
be several days before I can get to it.

-Galen