 CAD / 13385
Re: LSynth within LPub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:38:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Galen Kannarr wrote:
How does one get the integrated LSynth to execute?  I've never been able to get
anything out of it and have to run the model through LSynth manually or with
MLCAD before loading it into LPub instead.

Well, I have found a workaround.  It turns out that LSynth, at least the version
embedded in LPub, doesn't process commands that are collected into an MLCAD
group.  I'm not sure why running standalone LSynth manually worked for me unless
I didn't have the groups at the time.

The lsynth you run from inside LPub is the same one you run from inside MLCad.
I'll see what I can do when I get home.

Actually, what I need to do first is release the new LSynth.  The issue that is
holding me up is that I no longer want to ship synthesis specific parts (not
real parts), with the LSynth release.  The parts have all been put in the parts
tracker.

I have to make up a list of the parts needed, and build a table of pointers to
them on the LDraw sight.

Of course, this makes it impossible to use the LPUB GROUP REMOVE construct to
get rid of dangly-looking loose ends when it is time to plug them into the RCX.
Perhaps fixing this can be added to the LPub/LSynth todo list.

We definitaly want LPub to support "LPUB REMOVE GROUP", so I'll have to dig.

Thanks again, Kevin, for this tool (and to all the others whose programs LPub
exploits).

-Galen

You are welcome, Galen.

Kev

Kevin,

Another discovery: it appears that LPub does not want to call LSynth when the
model contains no submodels, that is, when it is an .ldr file instead of a .mpd
file.  I eliminated the need for subparts and LSynth stopped running.  When I
put a dummy subpart to make it a .mpd again, LSynth started running again.

Is LPub running an embedded LSynth or is it finding the executable on my
computer?

On an unrelated note, but while I have your ear, I should mention that LPub does
not always close the progress window when generating CSIs, PLIs, and BOM.  I
have not yet figured out what circumstances trigger that behavior.

Also, tonight, when generating layouts, LPub fails to generate the final
completed layout image.  The status box says "Laying out page 46" but there is
no image 46.  I also notice that there is no image 46 in the images folder.
Strange.

Thanks again.

-Galen