 CAD / 12039
Re: Renderer Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:26:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Allister McLaren wrote:

   This may not exactly be what you’re after, but the beauty of raytraced images is that they can be whatever you want them to be, and they are an order of magnitude better in quality than those produced by the other programs you mention. With the right settings you can create instructions that are pretty close to those produced by Lego®. Here’s one of my attempts. These images are straight out of LPub with no post processing

How would you like yours to look? Perhaps we can help.

Wow, I am surprised. That is the kind of thing I’m looking for... what kinds of settings do I need to change for that?

The thing is, I lost all the files associated with creating those instructions, so I have no record of the exact settings. I’ve got another model almost ready for instructionfying. I’ll let you know when I find them myself. I recommend ‘Virtual Lego’ for learning this stuff.

In the meantime, here’s the gist: Use megapov to render the edges. Place the lights carefully. To get a nice contrast between horizontal and vertical spaces, place at least one light directly overhead. If you want an orthographic view, don’t turn on the ‘orthographic view’ button. Use a very small field of view instead. The instructions linked above used 10°. This ensures that all images and parts images come out to the same scale. (this last one may be a bug in LPub that has, or soon will be, fixed - try both)

And most importantly, keep doing test renders until you’ve got it exactly how you want it, even if it takes a hundred. These images only take a few seconds each to actually render, and you’ll know if it’s right after the first one.

hth

Allister