 CAD / 12017
12016  |  12018
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Renderer Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:21:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
I have constructed a small McDonald's as part of a small layout
MichLUG is providing the Detroit area Festival of Trees as a raffle
item.  I've also done a version of the model in MLCAD with the goal
of creating instructions.  As usual, though, I've hit some snags in
the rendering stages.

This is the output from MLCAD:
http://gunth.com/lego/mcdonalds/
You can see that I've used the Rotation Step in a couple of places.  MLCAD
outputs the steps for subassemblies last, but that's OK--I can add them in at
the right place in a word processor when creating the print instructions.

The bigger issue is image quality.  I'd rather use LDLite to create the images.

I'm having two problems with LDLite:

1. Instead of dropping the entire subassembly in at the appropriate
set and then rendering separate images of them, LDLite actually adds
extra steps and builds the subassemblies right in place; is there a
way to prevent this?  I suppose I could just delete the extra step
images and render the subassemblies separately...

Maybe the -D command line option does what you want?  From the docs:

-D, will tell LDLite to start ignoring STEP commands after  levels of included
files. Use the option -D1 to have LDLite only wait for a keypress or save a
bitmap at STEP commands in the main file.

2. Is there any way to get LDLite to take the camera angles from the
rotation step, or would I have to process the entire instructions from
three different angles and then just choose the image with the
appropriate angle for each step?

Well, you can sorta simulate it with ldlite ROTATE meta commands, but
not completely, as far as I know.

0 ROTATION CENTER 0 0 0 1 "Custom"
0 ROTATION CONFIG 0 0
0 ROTSTEP 90 0 0 ABS
0 ROTATE -45 0 1 0
0 ROTATE 90 1 0 0
1 2 -40 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3811.DAT
0 STEP
0 blah, blah, blah...
0 STEP
0 ROTATE END
0 ROTATE END
0 CLEAR
0 Err, how do I redraw it at the regular orientation?  Anyone?
0 ROTSTEP END

Or, I suppose I could add support for ROTSTEP to ldglite since it's not
really all that different from the ROTATE command.

Enjoy,

Don