 CAD / 12030
Re: Renderer Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:17:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:

I don't think that's an option Peter can pursue. ;)

Why not?  The source for ldlite and ldglite is out there.  If anyone
wants to add ROTSTEP support, I'd be happy to add it to the CVS
archives.

"can pursue" and "is insane enough to try" are two different issues.  I teach
computer programming--I've never claimed to be a GOOD programmer. =)

Peter

LPub's overall architecture suffers horribly from "bottom up design".  It
started out as a perl script, and then got moved to C++, so that I could add a
GUI.  It was a 12,000 line monolithic program until about six weeks ago. It is
now split up and more code is added.

Oh, to start over.  It would be much better organized and even architected.
There's the GUI layer, the DAT generation layer, the rendering layer, and the
the layout layer (PLI layout, BOM layout, BI layout).  I've been moving things
out of LPub's GUI and into meta-commands within the file.  Almost all the layers
could just be C programs that took command line arguments.  This would allow the
advanced programmers to insert their own layers for preprocessing and
postprocessing of inputs and outputs of the layers LPub provides.

I'm proud of the results LPub gives, but not of how it is software engineered.

The source will be provided as promised in this next release, but it won't be
pretty.

Kevin