 CAD / 12021
Re: Renderer Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 02:40:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
I have constructed a small McDonald's as part of a small layout MichLUG is
providing the Detroit area Festival of Trees as a raffle item.  I've also done a
version of the model in MLCAD with the goal of creating instructions.  As usual,
though, I've hit some snags in the rendering stages.

This is the output from MLCAD:
http://gunth.com/lego/mcdonalds/
You can see that I've used the Rotation Step in a couple of places.  MLCAD
outputs the steps for subassemblies last, but that's OK--I can add them in at
the right place in a word processor when creating the print instructions.

The bigger issue is image quality.  I'd rather use LDLite to create the images.
I'm having two problems with LDLite:

1. Instead of dropping the entire subassembly in at the appropriate set and then
rendering separate images of them, LDLite actually adds extra steps and builds
the subassemblies right in place; is there a way to prevent this?  I suppose I
could just delete the extra step images and render the subassemblies
separately...

2. Is there any way to get LDLite to take the camera angles from the rotation
step, or would I have to process the entire instructions from three different
angles and then just choose the image with the appropriate angle for each step?

Additionally, are there any ways to develop visual parts lists for steps without
using LPub?  I don't like using raytraced images for instructions--too many
distractions in shading etc.  Also, in the raytraced images the doors aren't
drawn at the same angle as MLCAD or LDLite has it--I don't know if this is an
issue with the part libraries for the POV-RAY conversion or what.  Any ideas?

If anyone wants to play with the .MPD file, it's
http://gunth.com/lego/mcdonalds/McDonald4.mpd

Thanks,
Peter

Peter,

  I'm adding support for ldglite (and possibly ldlite) to LPub.  We've got a few
compaibility issues between POV-Ray output and ldglite, but Don is working on
this.  I'm very pumped about about alternate renderers, and thank Orion for the
motivation to work on these.

  As Allister points out, you can control the quality level of POV-rendering
where you can reduce the rendering effort (and decrease rendering time) using
LPub.

Kevin