 Announcements / 3437
  LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

Hi, everyone. I'm extremely pleased to announce that I've managed to compile (URL) LDView 3.1> on Mac OS X! Previously, I believe only (URL) version 1.0> was publicly available. Allow me to submit this piping-hot screenshot as evidence for your (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-07, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

Thanks for doing that, Jim. Just as a note, the latest development code compiles and runs on Mac OS X without modification, and LDView 3.2 will have an official Mac Universal Binary version (although it might labeled as Beta). (Getting the Universal (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

It looks similar to Jim's (with a different model), but here's a screenshot: (URL) It appears that we compiled with different versions of QT; Jim's border around the graphics area is different, as is the toolbar area. I didn't mention it in my (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) Wow! That's great news. Indeed, I wasn't aware that an up-to-date Mac version was in the works. (...) Making it universal with no dependencies is great - that will make it easily accessible to a lot more people than if prerequisites like Boost (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) It turns out I was wrong about the above. The back-ported QT 3.3 that Peter tracked down was the Windows version. The QT 3.3.7 that I'm using for Mac OSX is the official free version from Trolltech. (Peter compiled the QT version of LDView (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) I have to wonder what QChar is defined as in QT4. In QT3, it's just an integer type, as far as I can tell. The wchar_t type is just an integer type (4-byte integer in Linux, 2-byte integer in Windows, not sure about OSX). I suspect this error (...) (17 years ago, 20-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) On my MacBook, wchart is a 4-byte type. I'm not sure about the QChar definition. I've found a class definition in /src/corelib/tools/q...ar.h/.cpp, but my C++ is weak so on first glance I'm not sure how to interpret its type compatibility. (...) (17 years ago, 20-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) I took a look at the QChar docs in both QT 3 and QT 4, and updated the failing line of code to call the unicode() function on the QChar object. This builds fine in QT 3, and should also build fine in QT 4. I haven't had a chance yet to see if (...) (17 years ago, 20-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) Hi, Travis. I've (URL) LDView 3.2> with Qt 4.2.2 using your updated code. I thought I'd share my leads on the remaining kinks before proceeding. First, how I got it to compile: I expanded libtool to /usr/bin/libtool at line 13 of Makefile.inc (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) Yeah, they have been working on it for some time, almost 3 years. I'm very eager to get rid of the old version on my website! I don't believe it works with 10.4. I'm very glad to see more Mac LDraw apps! James (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) After taking another look at the list of uic3 warnings and LDView.ui, I am willing to bet that my problems with fly-through mode - and polling mode, maybe are due to QT4 differences. Both pollChanged(QAction*) and viewChangedMode(QAction*) are (...) (17 years ago, 22-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) Correction to the screenshot link I just posted of LDView with a more compact Qt style: (URL) Sorry for the double post. Jim (17 years ago, 22-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

I'm delighted to see another developer supporting the Macintosh. (...) Yeah, LDraw/Unofficial just seemed like the logical choice. That was feature that went nowhere, though. I never even documented it, because I didn't think anyone else supported (...) (17 years ago, 27-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) So far, we have maintained the old DOS convention of max. 8 chars and no SPACE used in folder names. I realize that fewer and fewer programs and utils are made in DOS evironments, maybe I'm the only to still make quick 'n' dirty programs in (...) (17 years ago, 28-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

--snip-- (...) Personally I'm against maintaining it. It forces us into strange naming conventions for something which probably affects no users of the software. Tim (17 years ago, 28-Feb-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) It it really so? We still use renderers and utilities that have command line inputs, and I don't know but I have a strong feeling that long names may cause problems like "Unofficial" turs into "Unoffi~1" followed by path not found errors. And (...) (17 years ago, 1-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) I'm not sure about 98 and its ilk but I've never had any problems with long filenames in XP for l3p (and possible other command lines although I can't remember any off hand). I would certainly recommend against using spaces in filenames as (...) (17 years ago, 1-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) And sorry to reply to myself... Could people using older operating systems test this? I'm happy to maintain the status quo if there are problems but if no-one finds problems then I think we make the majority suffer for something that isn't (...) (17 years ago, 1-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) First of all, I agree that we should avoid using space in filenames for all official stuff. It's just too problematic. However, that's not a reason to forbid the use of long filenames in general. The thing is, any program that doesn't support (...) (17 years ago, 1-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) Well the other thing to consider is that with the adoption of the standard header on DAT files, there really is no *need* to store unofficial files in a different sub-directory, because programs will be able to tell which files are unofficial (...) (17 years ago, 1-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) With tongue slightly in cheek, I believe it is time to accept the technological advancements of 1984. If DOS wasn't obsolete the day it was written, it definitely was within a few years. DOS filenames tend to be inscrutable, and there just (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) The only character either Linux or Mac OS X is allergic to is '/'. Spaces are perfectly acceptable under both. One need only take care that any paths fed to the shell are properly escaped. Ideally anybody writing shell scripts or system() (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

It's me the user that wants to know which unofficial parts I've downloaded and am using, and thus which may require updating, deleting, or something. For me it is purely a user-management issue. My program doesn't really care if a part is Official (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) Sure, but as I said, you can't be 100% certain that the contents of the standard LDraw directory are all official and vice versa, so the best way to manage them (in my opinion) is lump them all together, and have a program that helps you (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) Well, I made a small program in Delphi 7 that lists the command line parameters, drag and dropped a file named "LongFileName.dat" in it, and here is the surprising result: (URL) (Running on a Win98SE PC.) So I think long file names still has (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) (URL) Here's> the output on XP. ROSCO (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) Thanks, Well well, first advantage of downgrading to XP, I guess. Just to be sure, you did drag and drop into the "application", or did you write it in a command line? /Tore (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)? (Was: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!)

(...) Yeah I know they can be included but it's usually a safe idea not to. When setting a standard I'd be wary of allowing anything that is commonly poorly interpreted (which I suspect the escaped characters are). Tim (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) That was command line, (URL) the result with drag n drop> is similar. ROSCO (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) My best guess is at that time MS was trying to make things safe for old programs (although it seems senseless for them to have done this with Win32 apps). If you call the Win32 function GetLongPathName on the short path, it will give you the (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) (URL) on Win2000 SP4 w. (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

Before I say anything else, I want to point out that as the author of LDView my comments here are necessarily biased. So keep that in mind as you read them. (...) I disagree that it's not useful to have the unofficial parts in another directory. (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) Indeed. (...) Well that's the part I disagree with. Everyone is different, and making assumptions about what people will want to use is always bad for program developers. The choice should be the user's, not the programmer's. (...) That may be (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  I hereby accect long file names!

(...) It's an utterly complicated way, but it works! Only problem is that GetLongPathName erases all other kinds of command line parameters. Now that I know that at least it is possible to avoid shortened pathnames, I rest my case. I no longer (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Testing long filenames was Re: Unofficial directory (with non-standard name lenght)?

(...) showing D:DownloadsShowParameters.exe The second line (Label2) however, stays blank. With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen. (17 years ago, 3-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) As a user (and a programmer; though I've yet to do any work on LDView), I prefer the way Travis is doing things. Not that that makes it right; I'm just saying that you can't (and shouldn't) lump the users and the programmers into two competing (...) (17 years ago, 3-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) Absolutely. Before I started using LDView and realized that Bricksmith could also use its Unofficial folder, any and all unofficial files I downloaded just got dumped in parts. To chime in on the filename length issue, my LDraw folder got real (...) (17 years ago, 3-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) Well I would argue that is forcing the user to do something the program could do much more easily (and accurately). Both those make the assumption that the contents of the standard LDraw directory are always official, and the contents of the (...) (17 years ago, 3-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X!

(...) Absolutely. But until such time as a program like that is available, I'm most interested in what can be done pragmatically with the tools available now. I've probably just confused the discussion of plans for future improvements - in which (...) (17 years ago, 3-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)