 Ambassadors / 352
Re: LEGO Star Wars Anniversary Set - Help Decide
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:42:26 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
   1. What model do you recommend that LEGO Star Wars launches in October 2009 as celebration of LEGO Star Wars 10th anniversary?

The most iconic scene of the trilogy: The Trash Compactor from ANH!

   2. Should it be a model in minifigure scale or a big display model?

Minifig scale - so it’s an action playset!

   3. Which key characters / minifigs should be included if the model is minifigure scale?

Luke and Han in unhelmeted stormtrooper gear, Leia in her “I’ve just been probe-droided” gown, and Chewie (with manacles still dangling from one wrist). Of course, there will also need to be an eye-stalked swimmer thing - either a separate mold or brick built.

Other possible inclusions (see below) include two stormtroopers, C3PO, and R2D2.

   4. What key functions should be included?

An overhead slide-type entry. This is where the group jumps in from. If a small section of the hallway they were in is also added on the outside of the compactor, there could be a stormtrooper or two included, peering down through the hole.

Ideally, there could be a small room (underneath the aforementioned hallway level?) in which R2D2 and C3PO are desperately working on banks of computers.

Simulated “Watery” Motion. I can picture this done with platforms on fulcrums, or perhaps a floor of cargo nets with springy standoffs from a baseplate. Something to give an unsteady floor feeling.

The compactor should then be filled with all sorts of crates, boxes, and the like. Perhaps some rubbery components that have some “squish” factor (akin to the foam blocks from the old Kenner playset)? There needs to be a lower-level door through which the intrepid adventurers can eventually escape.

Obviously, there must be some compacting mechanism. Here’s a perfect opportunity for a Power Systems tie-in ... include instructions to MOTORIZE the gruesome compaction system!

Lastly, there needs to be a couch in amongst the trash.