 Adventurers / 213
Re: Adventurers in 2000?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:43:48 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I haven't seen this in years, but whoever suggested it was right on.  Sean
Connery and Michael Caine have both said it was their own personal favorite
(that was a number of years ago, so they may have new favorites).

I thought you had suggested it, it must have been Steve Bliss.

As for Adventurers 2000 I think we will probably see nothing new in the way • of
subthemes (just my gut feeling), but we will see new sets for the Amazon
theme.  I think based upon sales Lego will either do one more subtheme or
scrap the entire theme altogether.  Still you never know.  We could see more
Egyptian stuff, an Arctic subtheme, and a continuation for 8 years (a la
Pirates) but I doubt it. I have learned that for every thing in life I get
excited about I seem to be disappointed by three more.   If that holds true I
have already bought my last Adventurers set.  I am hoping for a continuation
though.

I guess I was wrong about this.

One other thing, do you think TLG would benefit by making their stocks
public?  Just a thought.

The only reason to go public would be for the cash infusion to expand their
business or go into new areas.  Since they didn't need the money to launch
their expensive theme parks, it would seem unlikely at this point unless they
are contemplating something with huge start-up costs.

Either Adventurers will continue with a new theme or this will be it.  I think
the Egyptian and Amazon themes have been covered adequately.  Atlantis/Lost
World/Dinotopia/Pellucidar would probably be the best choice. • Indian/Southeast
Asian would work.  Babylonian/Assyrian/Persian has potential.  Greek/Roman
doesn't have the horror/danger element unless you work in the Atlantis angle.
Arctic seems extremely bare and doesn't fit into the Indiana Jones flavor of
the series - no treasure-raiding "archeology" involved.  If sales remain • strong
for the theme, it may continue as long as Lego feels fresh themes can be • added.
If sales are lagging, then it's done.  Even then, Lego may feel the theme has
run its natural course.  Perhaps letting the theme sit fallow for a couple of
years and then coming back to it would work better for sales in the long run
(Forestmen/Dark Forest).

If the pirates theme returns this year or next (if at all), I think it would
supplant the Adventurers line.  All we can really do is wait, because whatever
decision Lego has made is already set.

Bruce

As always listening to you Bruce is like listening to the Gospels - everytime
I do I hear something useful and worth thinking about.  In the LEGO Bible you
are the messiah!

Mark L