 Administrative / Suggestions / 1404
Re: clarifying/reminding users of "the rules" [Re: Help Wanted]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:48:57 GMT

Suz wrote:
Wow, I totally agree. Though not so much about the added Curator
responsibility. I tried to keep that job fun (^_^); and I'd hate to
see the individual groups become any more like mini-universes.

Good point there. I was mainly thinking that perhaps the curators could be
empowered to at least be able to make the first "friendly" reminder. Because
of the need for consistent policy though, I would not want them to do
anything more than the friendly reminder. But perhaps consistency is even a
reason for them not to be empowered in that way at all (and I most
definitely would like to see random non-admin types not be making these
policy reminders - sometimes they are wrong, and they often blow up into a
flamewar).

I think I prefer the idea of having a site-wide "on call" or "in main
lobby" help-desk sort of admin "representative" who's quietly keeping
an eye on things and is immediately available for users to go to with
their problems/questions. Their presence would need to be widely
known and obvious to users, which would require a bit of coding, I'd
guess.

I know we have really low traffic around here these days - it would
seem like overkill perhaps. But IMO, the swiftness of response and
the level of authority from an administrative representative would go
far to avoid flamewars. Also, I think it'd be comforting for users,
and a deterrant for troublemakers. Hmm.. and some sort of log would
be kept. [thinking] If such a position were established now, it may
send a signal to users that we expect site-usage to greatly increase
soon. That would be good. BTW, Todd and I have never done anything to
promote traffic to lugnet.com (intentionally) but perhaps that's an
option now.

Definitely agree with all of that.

The most difficult part of all this, perhaps, would be gathering and
training enough volunteers to cover 24 hours/7 days. And all those
reps would need to be on -precisely- the same page regarding
proceedures. Though those should already have been defined and kept
posted for the other users.

Yea. Not sure 24/7 is absolutely necessary as long as admin response at
least always happens within 24 hours and discourages the sort of vigilante
justice we see so often these days. Back when it was just you and Todd, you
definitely didn't have 24/7 (though Todd kept amazing hours...), but Todd
(and occaisionally you) usually responded quickly, and things didn't get out
of hand.

And absolutely agree that everyone needs to be on the same page, or at least
close enough.

As a way of facilitating that communication, I would suggest (in the
web interface, at least) publishing a little box of text in the
sidebar. There, a brief statement from the administration could
remind users of what to do when there's trouble and a link to the
on-call admin-rep. Perhaps that text could rotate upon re-loading the
page, alternating with other helpful site-wide info and tips. Such
as, a written reminder to users that they remain familiar with the
Terms, a reminder to read the charter for appropriate posting to that
specific area, a link to a LUGNET FAQ, a link to commonly used
acronyms, the definition of "curator" (the distinction of their NOT
being a moderator), maybe even info on continuing their monetary
donation, etc.

Sounds like a nice idea. That information could also show up in the
authentication e-mails (which would catch all the NNTP users). Perhaps it
could also be added onto the bottom of each e-mail post. Or another solution
for e-mail users would be a monthly reminder with a report on your
subscriptions (and a reminder of how to unsubscribe...).

Here's a big one:
I'd LOVE for people to be reminded of -WHY- LUGNET posts are kept
clean, clear, preferably non-redundant, and on-topic. Many newer
users of the internet are now accostomed to PHP message boards where
conversations are a bit more like "chats" - containing fleeting
banter, and sometimes periodically purged. Unfortunately, the older
tradition of Usenet Newsgroups has become less well known. I'm sure
that many LUGNET users aren't even aware they're using a Newsgroup
system. I think it would be great if everyone understood and valued
the fact that LUGNET is not only a meeting place and forum for
discussions, but also a giant work-in-progress. It's actually a very
positive long-term community-driven project! For over seven years, we
have worked together to form an invaluable archive of ideas and
observations about LEGO products. If more users understand and
appreciate that, I think they could take pride in it and thus limit
their posts ones which are more respectful and less often bitterly
personal. IMHO, ideally, all users would keep in mind a greater
purpose of LUGNET - one where future users may be researchers. In
that context, where one is searching for helpful information, their
slogging through mud-slinging is not just inconvenient. It glares of
immature and inappropriate behavior. This makes our whole community
look bad. Think of it from the point of view of an anthropologist, or
even simply a kid who's unfamiliar with LEGO building technniques
who's looking for help with a building challenge after his/her
teacher gave them an assignment for school...

Absolutely agree with the above. You and Todd set high standards that made
Lugnet a joy to use (even if some of us got called Compartmentalized
Dorks.... :-). Sadly, these days, many people no longer understand that, and
we have self appointed police, people not understanding the whys of the
market, people cross posting between .general and .theme groups, a reduction
in civility, etc.

With the change in administration, we have a great opportunity to kick of a
new vision for Lugnet (that isn't very much different from the old...) and
turn the ship back on course.

Shiri Dori was a great community person. so full of positive energy!!

Here's a toast for Shiri! (Hey, she can drink legally now! (and join
NELUG...)) Perhaps one of these days we'll see her here again (I have
exchanged e-mail with her in the last year).

Frank