 Administrative / Suggestions / 1398
1397  |  1399
Subject:
clarifying/reminding users of "the rules" [Re: Help Wanted]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:26:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Frank Filz wrote:
Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
Sounds good, though I would like to check the ToU first whether we
should slightly change them at any points.

The ToU definitely need an update. They do not reflect several changes in
policy, especially regarding market traffic (standing policy seems to
discourage ANY market traffic outside the appropriate lugnet.market group,
but the ToU only explicitly address auctions - therefore strongly implying
that other market traffic is definitely allowed in other areas).

I think refreshing the ToU and making a big deal of it as part of the
transition would be an opportunity to shut down one of the sources of flame
wars here. As part of refreshing the ToU, I would suggest defining a process
for raising complaints that steers people away from the level of community
policing that we currently have (in other words, if people were encouraged
to e-mail an admin or something instead of speaking out in the newsgroup, we
would have less of the "you don't have the authority to say that, and gee, 5
years ago you did XYZ so how do you even have any standing to complain"). As
part of this, I could see deputizing curators to at least handle first level
of warnings in their respective groups (but if a polite note from a curator
is not enough to satisfy the issue, then one of the admin team should be
involved).

Just some thoughts.

Frank

Wow, I totally agree. Though not so much about the added Curator responsibility.
I tried to keep that job fun (^_^); and I'd hate to see the individual groups
become any more like mini-universes.

I think I prefer the idea of having a site-wide "on call" or "in main lobby"
help-desk sort of admin "representative" who's quietly keeping an eye on things
and is immediately available for users to go to with their problems/questions.
Their presence would need to be widely known and obvious to users, which would
require a bit of coding, I'd guess.

I know we have really low traffic around here these days - it would seem like
overkill perhaps. But IMO, the swiftness of response and the level of authority
from an administrative representative would go far to avoid flamewars. Also, I
think it'd be comforting for users, and a deterrant for troublemakers. Hmm.. and
some sort of log would be kept. [thinking] If such a position were established
now, it may send a signal to users that we expect site-usage to greatly increase
soon. That would be good. BTW, Todd and I have never done anything to promote
traffic to lugnet.com (intentionally) but perhaps that's an option now.

The most difficult part of all this, perhaps, would be gathering and training
enough volunteers to cover 24 hours/7 days. And all those reps would need to be
on -precisely- the same page regarding proceedures. Though those should already
have been defined and kept posted for the other users.

As a way of facilitating that communication, I would suggest (in the web
interface, at least) publishing a little box of text in the sidebar. There, a
brief statement from the administration could remind users of what to do when
there's trouble and a link to the on-call admin-rep. Perhaps that text could
rotate upon re-loading the page, alternating with other helpful site-wide info
and tips. Such as, a written reminder to users that they remain familiar with
the Terms, a reminder to read the charter for appropriate posting to that
specific area, a link to a LUGNET FAQ, a link to commonly used acronyms, the
definition of "curator" (the distinction of their NOT being a moderator), maybe
even info on continuing their monetary donation, etc.

Here's a big one:
I'd LOVE for people to be reminded of -WHY- LUGNET posts are kept clean, clear,
preferably non-redundant, and on-topic. Many newer users of the internet are now
accostomed to PHP message boards where conversations are a bit more like "chats"
- containing fleeting banter, and sometimes periodically purged. Unfortunately,
the older tradition of Usenet Newsgroups has become less well known. I'm sure
that many LUGNET users aren't even aware they're using a Newsgroup system. I
think it would be great if everyone understood and valued the fact that LUGNET
is not only a meeting place and forum for discussions, but also a giant
work-in-progress. It's actually a very positive long-term community-driven
project! For over seven years, we have worked together to form an invaluable
archive of ideas and observations about LEGO products. If more users understand
and appreciate that, I think they could take pride in it and thus limit their
posts ones which are more respectful and less often bitterly personal. IMHO,
ideally, all users would keep in mind a greater purpose of LUGNET - one where
future users may be researchers. In that context, where one is searching for
helpful information, their slogging through mud-slinging is not just
inconvenient. It glares of immature and inappropriate behavior. This makes our
whole community look bad. Think of it from the point of view of an
anthropologist, or even simply a kid who's unfamiliar with LEGO building
technniques who's looking for help with a building challenge after his/her
teacher gave them an assignment for school...

I take responsibility for this part of LUGNET's mission not being well known,
and I'm sorry for it. In the early days it just seemed so obvious! In more
recent days, I was a poor leader and didn't even think to post about it. Heck, I
had a dificult time simply keeping the site online! But the Grand Idea has
always been there. Maybe the old-timers understand it best. (?)

---------------------
As Frank said, now is a good time for making statements to the community.
They're listening and I believe they're optimistic. Rene, if you agree with the
mindset I described above, and wish for it to be in LUGNET's future, I would be
happy to assist in a "Public Awareness" campaign. (like when a government runs
TV and radio ads promoting a healthy population.) Just let me know.

BTW, the technique of using "community pride" to alter population behavior has
proven successful in places like urban neighborhoods. Actually, there are many
things I've done for LUGNET which were based on studies of "real life"
environments. That's how Curatorships came about. Some of my notes are here,
though 6+ years old, if anyone's interested in that:
  http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/notes/social_constructionism.jpg
and, ha!, here I even used the phrase "community health campaign":
  http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/notes/social-2.jpg
I should scan in some more stuff. I have a lot. (ones less sloppy!) (^_^);
But knowing me, I'll never find time.. :-/

Shiri Dori was a great community person. so full of positive energy!! Here's one
of her most brilliant social moves:
Birthday Buddies
  http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=31252
This thread did a superb job of drawing people together from the different
sub-groups that make up the greater LUGNET community. This "meeting in the
lobby" is great for community health. It also was a breath of fresh air, when
sometimes conversation can get heavy around here. It was fun, and popular. It
even led to a mathematical geek-out:
  http://news.lugnet.com/people/?n=2185
BTW, I believe Shiri later compiled the data. Of course, most people had already
submitted their DOB information via their LUGNET application (most kept
private), so I knew it. Todd and I had originally gathered it partly with
intention of putting "celebration" features into LUGNET's functionality/UI (like
your user page looks special just for you on that day) but never got around to
that. (Incidentally, I was one of the few who had -no- Birthday Buddy.
Boo-hooo...)

Jeez, I'm babbling again. sorry so long. This must be my time for reminiscence.
Hmm.. now I'm imagining a "Best of LUGNET" thread over in .general. But maybe
that's better saved for our ten-year anniversary! (which btw, I am privately
already celebrating because this summer marks 10 years since beginning the
project).

-Suz