 Administrative / General / 9458
Re: posting varification, ug!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:08:51 GMT

Dan Boger wrote:

Dean Husby wrote:
That's only if you are using the WEB interface. I think most of us use the NNTP
or Email interface.

true that that's only for the web interface.  However, I don't know the distribution of users between web/nntp/smtp.  Do you have any data?

My NEWS reader supports Authenticated posting, can we use that to prove who we
are and  not have to verify each post? We are loosing a lot of posters because of
this...

Authenticated posting only makes sure you're allowde to access the server - it does not (without hacking at the news server), make sure you post only as yourself.  As such, it would not solve the problem that the posting auth came to solve.

As for "loosing a lot of posters" - I havn't noticed a decrease in traffice, but I'm oblivious often.  Do you have any data to back up your statement?

:)

Dan

I know I've slowed down greatly. It's a pain to bang off a quick message now.
I've seen several postings of "By all This is the last post I'll be posting but I'll still be reading" type of post.
The traffic to the robotics areas seems like it's halved from what it was before.

These are my personal observations, I don't have access to the stats that would  point out who posted with what and how many times etc...

Dean
--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320