 Administrative / General / 9468
Re: posting varification, ug!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:41:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
true that that's only for the web interface.  However, I don't know the
distribution of users between web/nntp/smtp.  Do you have any data?

I'm willing to bet that the distribution of posting has shifted toward the
Web interface since the authentication has gone into effect.  At least among
LUGNET *members*.

Authenticated posting only makes sure you're allowde to access the server -
it does not (without hacking at the news server), make sure you post only as
yourself.  As such, it would not solve the problem that the posting auth came
to solve.

If members are spoofing posts, there's a real problem.  I'd think that if
someone does NNTP-authentication to their membership id/password[1], they
should be able to post via NNTP without further confirmations.

As for "loosing a lot of posters" - I havn't noticed a decrease in traffice, but I'm oblivious often.  Do you have any data to back up your statement?

I watch the daily numbers (but I don't do any graphing).  I noticed a strong
upturn in posting after the posting-checking was put into place (it jumped
from the mid-300's to over 500).  It's back down now, with the dog days of
summer...

--
Steve
1) If NNTP-authentication passes passwords in the clear, then this approach