 Administrative / General / 9455
Re: posting varification, ug!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 19:29:10 GMT

Dean Husby wrote:
That's only if you are using the WEB interface. I think most of us use the NNTP
or Email interface.

true that that's only for the web interface.  However, I don't know the distribution of users between web/nntp/smtp.  Do you have any data?

My NEWS reader supports Authenticated posting, can we use that to prove who we
are and  not have to verify each post? We are loosing a lot of posters because of
this...

Authenticated posting only makes sure you're allowde to access the server - it does not (without hacking at the news server), make sure you post only as yourself.  As such, it would not solve the problem that the posting auth came to solve.

As for "loosing a lot of posters" - I havn't noticed a decrease in traffice, but I'm oblivious often.  Do you have any data to back up your statement?

:)

Dan