 Administrative / General / 9469
Re: posting varification, ug!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:33:48 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
true that that's only for the web interface.  However, I don't know the
distribution of users between web/nntp/smtp.  Do you have any data?

I'm willing to bet that the distribution of posting has shifted toward the
Web interface since the authentication has gone into effect.  At least among
LUGNET *members*.

nod - that does make sense.  I know Jennifer and I still don't use the web interface, but we're special :)

Authenticated posting only makes sure you're allowde to access the server -
it does not (without hacking at the news server), make sure you post only as
yourself.  As such, it would not solve the problem that the posting auth came
to solve.

If members are spoofing posts, there's a real problem.  I'd think that if
someone does NNTP-authentication to their membership id/password[1], they
should be able to post via NNTP without further confirmations.

since anyone can become a member, if a malicious user wanted to spoof Suz, for instance, all he had to do is fork out $10...  Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me...  True, it might be easier to track such spoofs down, but it won't stop them from happening.

1) If NNTP-authentication passes passwords in the clear, then this approach
should not be considered.  Unfortunately. :(

they are, but so are http based passowrds - but if someone has the ability to sniff the traffic coming out of your computer, it's very likely that he'd be able to get your cookies, your passwords and anything else he wants...

:)

Dan