 Administrative / General / 9471
Re: posting varification, ug!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 19:38:10 GMT

David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
PGP keys are unrelated to nntp - and they could be used to verify that a user
is who he says he is.

Yep. I guess the question I have is, to what extent can they be tied into
the various interfaces? For NNTP and email, I'd imagine they're fairly easy.
For web, it'd be more difficult I assume.

but if you're a member, and you're posting via the web, LUGNET already knows who you are... no need for pgp there...  unless you mean as a way to post without being logged in?

However, there's a development cost to setting this up
(trust me, I tried working on a script to do just that!), and PGP will not be
a good solution for all (most?) users - users who like posting from multiple
machines, or that are not inclined to install even more software on their
box...

I guess my inclination (in a perfect world) would be to have a "choose your
authentication method" type deal. Basically, a lot of people are complaining
about the authentication via email (as it involves an extra step for
everyone EXCEPT web-users logged in as Lugnet members). And for SOME people,
PGP key verification would probably be a lot more useful. Hence, if they
could choose, they'd be enjoying it a lot more.

heh, why make users choose?  if you're a member, you _can_ upload your pgp key to the server... then, you can either post on the web, as usual, via smtp/nntp with an auth email, or via smtp/nntp with PGP...  that would be my perfect world :)

But you're certainly right-- it's quite a bit of work. Plus it means
associating each user with an authentication method, which calls for some
internal DB and code restructuring, I'm sure. So, yeah-- in a perfect world.

nod...  I'll probably try and work on the script some more, someday...  but been too busy with peeron coding lately :)

Dan