 Administrative / General / 9456
Re: posting varification, ug!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 19:32:14 GMT

David Eaton wrote:
I think the point was mentioned that NNTP authentication *worked* but that
once you were authenticated, you could then post as anyone? I dunno how it
works, but that was my understanding. I don't know how much I heard about
PGP keys either (or if they're related I suppose)

PGP keys are unrelated to nntp - and they could be used to verify that a user is who he says he is.  However, there's a development cost to setting this up (trust me, I tried working on a script to do just that!), and PGP will not be a good solution for all (most?) users - users who like posting from multiple machines, or that are not inclined to install even more software on their box...

:)

Dan