 Administrative / General / 912
Re: robotics sub-groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:38:16 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <36a8875a.87082873@lugnet.com>...

Kekoa Proudfoot suggests that maybe a separate group on replacement • firmware or
advanced programming would be more appropriate than a legOS-specific group.

I agree with Kekoa, having an alternate firmware group is good enough for
now.  At a later date it could be split if needed.  As of now I think that
LegOS and Hforth people would not benefit from a distinction.

Lugnet.robotics.os

then if needed down the road...

Lugnet.robotics.os.LegOS, and
Lugnet.robotics.os.?

John Tamplin also suggest this, adding that many people in the current
group/list probably don't know anything about and don't want to discuss any
details of replacing the RCX firmware.

True so the one split would help these users.

Dave Baum, author of NQC, sees an advantage in having a dedicated group for • NQC
in that it helps centralize NQC-related questions/issues in one place and • also
makes back-searching nicer.  NQC has quite a following, with thousands of
downloads and a hundred people having sent Dave mail about it (including • ports
to other platforms, sample code, documentation, and web page graphics).

Where would questions and announcements of BotCode, Mind Control, VB, perl,
qbasic, dos, unix, C++ go?  are they to remain in the general area?

Vadim Strizhevsky and Owen Stenseth, authors of RCXLib for the Palm Pilot, • see
possible potential for a Palm Pilot or RCXLib group someday in the future,
perhaps after they release a more substantial next version, but feel it is • too
early at this point.

Yes too early.

I could see
Lugnet.robotics (as it is now but without the below topics)
Lugnet.comp.lang

Language is more to do with the actual compilers, programs, updates and
questions, and programs.  Programming will still be discussed in the general
robotics area.  The difference is: "Can Bot Code utilize the slope function
of the light sensor" - *.lang.  And: "I need a sensor set up to use a IR
radar to detect objects with small profiles" - *.robotics.

Lugnet.robotics.os (all OS ideas)

Lugnet.robotics.events
Lugnet.robotics.events.arena

possibly... Lugnet.robotics.lang.nqc

Franz-Michael S. Mellbin wrote in message ...
On a general note I think it would be wrong to firmly seperate programming • and
construction issues. "Mindstorms" is a blast because it is about the
interaction between these two subjects.

I agree with Franz.  Half of construction is programming, or constructing in
a manner that a program will work.

LINC