 Administrative / General / 907
CFD: robotics sub-groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:27:33 GMT

Last week, the topic came up about creating a special new group for Robot
Arena.  (See <http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:2713>
for more details and how the thread unfolded.)

Assuming this belongs inside the .robotics hierarchy (rather than inside a
separate .events hierarchy), a consensus may have been reached on the name:

   lugnet.robotics.events                 (new for general/generic events)
   lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena     (new for Robot Arena in particular)

At this point, since there are various on-line and off-line discussions about
other sub-groups going on, it may be most beneficial to talk about everything
at once.

Nate Burgess, Robot Arena creator and organizer of the San Jose event, and
David Chen, organizer of the Los Angeles event, are excited about having a
dedicated newsgroup for Robot Arena.

Markus Noga, author of LegOS, is interested in having a dedicated group for
LegOS, as it will help him focus and manage suggestions.  LegOS has been
mentioned hundreds of times in the robotics group/list, with many of these
mentions starting to get pretty deep into legOS details, for example:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:1841
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:1945
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:2052
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:2074
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:2156
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:2174

Kekoa Proudfoot suggests that maybe a separate group on replacement firmware or
advanced programming would be more appropriate than a legOS-specific group.
John Tamplin also suggest this, adding that many people in the current
group/list probably don't know anything about and don't want to discuss any
details of replacing the RCX firmware.

Dave Baum, author of NQC, sees an advantage in having a dedicated group for NQC
in that it helps centralize NQC-related questions/issues in one place and also
makes back-searching nicer.  NQC has quite a following, with thousands of
downloads and a hundred people having sent Dave mail about it (including ports
to other platforms, sample code, documentation, and web page graphics).

Vadim Strizhevsky and Owen Stenseth, authors of RCXLib for the Palm Pilot, see
possible potential for a Palm Pilot or RCXLib group someday in the future,
perhaps after they release a more substantial next version, but feel it is too
early at this point.

So there are at least 2 other projects (NQC & LegOS) which could directly
benefit in the short-term from focused disucssion areas.  Since this is not
Usenet, it is possible to create new newsgroups as appropriate, without the
overhead of long and drawn out voting procedures or the hindrance of silent
majorities.  The primary objective of the lugnet.com news server is to unite
LEGO fans online by giving them new areas to discuss projects in focused ways,
so they don't have to talk about their projects in turbulent general-topic
groups or break totally away and start up an isolated mailing list just to get
a bit of breathing room.

Here then summarized below are all the recent possibilities for new groups
which have been either seriously suggested or simply tossed out on the table
during brainstorming from various people.  (Note: what follows is a
comprehensive list of random ideas -- nothing organized -- and there is of
course still a lot of overlap at this stage.)

   NQC:
      lugnet.comp.lang.nqc
      lugnet.robotics.lang.nqc
   -> lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
      lugnet.robotics.nqc
      lugnet.robotics.programming.nqc

   legOS:
      lugnet.comp.os.legos
      lugnet.robotics.os
      lugnet.robotics.os.legos
      lugnet.robotics.rcx.os
   -> lugnet.robotics.rcx.os.legos
      lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
      lugnet.robotics.programming.legOS
      lugnet.robotics.programming.leg-os

   General RCX programming/other:
      lugnet.robotics.beginners
   -> lugnet.robotics.rcx
      lugnet.robotics.programming.other
      lugnet.robotics.construction.purelego
      lugnet.robotics.construction.other

   Robot Arena:
      lugnet.loc.robot-arena
      lugnet.events.robot-arena
      lugnet.gaming.robot-arena
      lugnet.robot-arena
      lugnet.robotics.arena
      lugnet.robotics.combat
      lugnet.robotics.combat.arena
      lugnet.robotics.compete
      lugnet.robotics.compete.arena
      lugnet.robotics.compete.combat
      lugnet.robotics.compete.general
      lugnet.robotics.competition
      lugnet.robotics.competition.arena
      lugnet.robotics.competition.combat
      lugnet.robotics.competition.general
      lugnet.robotics.competitions
   -> lugnet.robotics.events
   -> lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena
      lugnet.robotics.games
      lugnet.robotics.robot-arena

I marked a few of these candidates with arrows (->) which seemed like they fit
best into a larger forward-growable general structure.  Those, in summary:

      lugnet.robotics.rcx
      lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
      lugnet.robotics.rcx.os.legos
      lugnet.robotics.events
      lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena

All of this is, of course, open to debate/discussion/more brainstorming/etc.
Please keep in mind, however, that a united and energetic minority of people
making a solid case for a separate discussion area for their project holds a
lot more weight here than a stoic majority of people satisfied with the way
things are or passively going along with whatever everyone else decides.

--Todd

p.s.  This message is crossposted to lugnet.admin.general & lugnet.robotics,
with followups set to lugnet.admin.general.  If you don't subscribe to lugnet.*
newsgroups, but you still want to follow the discussion, you can view (and
optionally participate) using the web interface:
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general
or direct NNTP connection: