 Administrative / General / 909
Re: CFD: robotics sub-groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:13:11 GMT

Alan Clegg <abc@greenpeas.org> writes:

Last week, the topic came up about creating a special new group for Robot
Arena.  (See <http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:2713>
for more details and how the thread unfolded.)

I'd be happy to provide mailing list resouces {and searchable archives}
(as opposed to news services) free of charge for the new (if approved)
sub-groups.

As you (may or may not) know, every lugnet.* newsgroup automatically has its
own integrated mailing-list gateway.  (For example, lugnet.trains@lugnet.com
is the mailing list isomorphic to the lugnet.trains newsgroup.)

While redundant echoes of these mailing lists probably do no harm, advanced
capabilities such as crossposting and followup-direction are lost if a
third-party echo-gateway is introduced into the equation.  For example, when
you e-mail a message to a pair of addresses:

   To: lugnet.admin.general@lugnet.com,lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com

your message actually shows up [correctly] crossposted to the newsgroups
lugnet.admin.general & lugnet.robotics.  What's more, if your e-mail software
allows you to set the 'Reply-To' header specially on outgoing messages (as
Netscape Messenger does, for instance), then you can also then say

and this will cause the 'Followup-To' header of your news article to be set
[correctly] to lugnet.admin.general.  In other words, doing this from e-mail: