 Administrative / General / 800
Re: US S@H Phone Specials 1/11/99 - 1/17/99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 06:19:32 GMT

"Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> writes:

Gary Louie writes:
lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:
But I
completely understand if people would like to see the S@H specials sent out
as a 100%-focused announcement list.

I would prefer this.  Or even as a separate news group that I can
subscribe to by e-mail to my office address.  They frown very much on
large amounts of non business mail, but once a week should be OK.

I do endeavor to read .announce, and probably should subscribe to it, though
nothing catches my attention like "whole brand-new currently available sets at
super prices!" IMO LSAHS would be worth it's own group, cuz ATM that's the
only email of which I want to subscribe from Lugnet. I don't always want a
message about "Joe Gritz' new web page" sent to me (though maybe that's
technically an abuse of the .announce group).

Funny. Today I was just thinking about posting a message in favor of the
possible .lsahs group when I saw this thread.

Tom,

Here are the options:  (This topic has been kicking around for a time :)

1)  Mike crossposts to lugnet.announce and lugnet.market.shopping, with
    followups set to lugnet.market.shopping.  (Maybe also crossposting to
    lugnet.general, but anyone who reads that should also be reading
    lugnet.announce.)  Anyone can subscribe to lugnet.announce via e-mail
    even if they also read it via NNTP news.  If they want to receive only
    S@H messages from Mike via e-mail, they can set up a mail filter looking
    for "lugnet.announce" and "Mike Stanley" and "S@H".

-or-

2)  A new group lugnet.announce.<something> is created, and Mike crossposts
    instead to lugnet.announce.<something> in place of lugnet.announce (or
    in addition to it -- up to him), with everything else the same as
    option #1.

On the server/admin side of things, option #1 is zero-effort for me; option
#2 is also essentially zero-effort (~15 minutes and no hassle whatsoever).

As far as what to call <something>, it could be .lsahs or .shopping or
specials or .sales or whatever.  In any case, if someone wants to guarantee
that they see -only- Mike's S@H announcements (and not announcements from
other people or about non-S@H stuff), they'll need to either do filtering on
their end or we'll need to pick a ng name that's sufficiently restrictive to
discourage other people form posting there.

You guys decide between #1 and #2, and tell me the full ng name if you
decide on #2...  My recommendation is #2 and lugnet.announce.lsahs  :)

--Todd