 Administrative / General / 823
Re: US S@H Phone Specials 1/11/99 - 1/17/99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:14:49 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:
"Linc Smith" <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> writes:

Yes, I thought that  there would be a good description of what the group was
on that page and it is true that you can watch the group for a while, but
this shouldn't mean a more explanative name can't be used.

Very true, there's nothing inherent which precudes the use of a more
descriptive name, if possible (all things considered).

Lugnet.shop-at-home.sales
Lugnet.shop-at-home.promotion
Lugnet.shop-at-home.whatever

Lots of room for expansion.  All meet the length and character requirements,
and I feel these are just more user friendly (similar to other names on
Lugnet)

<snip>
If the ng is really for low-bandwith announcements LEGO Shop At Home Service
phone specials, then I think it ought to have both "lego" and "service" in
the name -- either spelled out or in acronym form -- if it also contains
"shop" and "home."

I don't want us to bastardize the official name "LEGO Shop At Home Service" • <snip>

BTW, when the S@H reps answer the phone, I think they rarely say the full
name "LEGO Shop At Home Service," but don't they pretty much always say
"LEGO Shop At Home"?  (As in, "Good morning, LEGO Shop At Home... Would you
like to place a catalog order?")
Yep they do.

Garshk, how do we get around this? Who ever thought this would be so
difficult? The group name criteria should contain:
1) Lego (so as to denote its officialness);
2) Shopping (or the clear idea of shopping, which is looking *and* buying)
3) Home (shopping from there)
4) Service (it is a service)

and not be:
5) too long - max 14 chars each (sub)group
6) too many subgroups, thereby still keeping short the hierarchal path
7) cryptic

lsahswps? Lego Shop at Home Service Weekly Phone Specials? %@*$&#! Just
looking at the subject of this thread makes me shake my head. Mike includes
all the info necessary, and then tacks on the date. I'll have to think about
this some more. *mental belch*

-Tom McD.