 Administrative / General / 801
Re: Is lugnet.general general enough?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 06:32:37 GMT

"Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> writes:

Q to Todd:
Have you ever considered lugnet.off-topic.general or lugnet.off-topic.q&a to
which people could post things, perhaps questions, neither fun nor debatable?
An example post could be, "How do I get my newsreader to keep from sending
multiple posts?"

Or would this be inappropriate/ungovernable/stupid/unused?

I think a group dedicated to newsreader/newsserver stuff would get a fair
amount of traffic...probably measured in posts per week or month rather than
per day, but enough to be useful.  Certainly, also, if people feel
uncomfortable talking about serious geek stuff in the off-topic groups, or
want to talk serious geek stuff without the noise of other off-topic junk,
then there ought to be a group or hierarchy for serious geek stuff.

The .off-topic hierarchy was really invented as "the foofoo area" rather
than purely/literally for everything un-LEGO.  Technically, the .admin
hierarchy is also for "off-topic" (i.e., non-LEGO) stuff in that it's for
things with more of a LUGNET focus than a general LEGO focus.

One possibility that came up once (gee, I'm a walking database of old ng
possibilities this week :) was lugnet.admin.help-desk.  Another was
lugnet.admin.news.  Either of these, or a lugnet.admin.support, would be
great for newsreader/newsserver sorts of discussions.  I'd probably pick
lugnet.admin.news.

It's also (maybe) a possibility someday that there might be a
lugnet.comp.lang.logo (LEGO/LOGO programming) and maybe other LEGO-related
languages as they crop up.

--Todd